Home > Brief Introduction
What is Listening Therapy and who is Alfred A.Tomatis?
French ear, nose and throat physician, Alfred A.Tomatis began developing his method in 1947, based on research into occupational deafness among factory workers and the spectacular vocal production of classical singers. His technique aims at understanding and structuring the control circuits of voice, speech, language, social-emotional functioning and behaviour via listening.
He discovered that sound production is directed by the auditory system, which in turn is linked to the brain as centre of thought, feeling and behaviour. The interaction between audition and phonation, that is, the hearing and production of sound is now known medically as the "Tomatis Effect".
- THE VOICE CAN ONLY PRODUCE WHAT THE EAR HEARS.
- IF THE EAR HEARS PROPERLY THE VOICE IS PROPERLY PRODUCED. BY HELPING THE EARS TO HEAR PROPERLY THE VOICE INSTANTLY AND UNCONSCIOUSLY IMPROVES.
- BY STIMULATING THE EAR OVER A PERIOD OF TIME WITH GOOD AUDITORY HABITS IT IS POSSIBLE TO PERMANENTLY TRANSFORM THE VOICE.
The electronic listening device developed by Tomatis over many years is at the heart of listening therapy. This device re-trains the muscles of the middle ear to respond to frequencies that we have lost the ability to listen to. It is genuine gymnastic exercise for the ears, tailored to the individual requirements of the client. A basic course consists of two hours listening per day over a two-week period. Following a break of three to four weeks, to allow consolidation and ongoing development, there is a further week of intense listening. Throughout the training period you will undergo listening assessments to monitor programme and progress.
Did you know that Maria Callas, Gerard Depardieu, Beniamino Gigli, Juliette Binoche and Romy Schneider have all been trained using the Electronic Ear?
What are the benefits of Listening Therapy?
By fine-tuning your listening you may:
- Increase you verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Improve your sense of rythym and body image
- Enjoy greater "presence" and self-confidence
- Improve co-ordination, balance and posture
- Improve the range and richness of the sound of your voice
- Heighten sensitivity to your sound perception
- Enhance concentration, memory and attention
- Improve volume and pitch of your singing voice
- Improve pronunciation and accent when speaking foreign languages
Did you know that:
- the ear provides the brain with 80% of its sensory stimulus?
- the ear controls every muscle of the body?
- low mood can be the result of lack of sonic stimulation?
- a baby in the womb can hear from four and a half months
IS WHEN THE CLIENT EXPERIENCES THE LISTENING CONDITIONS OF THE WOMB AND BIRTH - THAT IS, THE TRANSITION FROM BONE-CONDUCTED SOUND TO AIR-CONDUCTED SOUND
Chanting is the active part of the course. Using the electronic listening device you will learn to chant or sing, as you have never dreamed possible.