For the brain, there are neither holidays nor retirement.…Dr. A Tomatis
Tomatis has something for everybody and as the good doctor said
We all think we listen but in fact hearing is probably our most deficient sense. We are not aware of how much life we are missing. We live in it, and it lives in us.
- Voice “I don’t like my voice when I hear it played back to me”. I’d love to give presentations and be be more vocal at meetings but my voice just gets stuck and I end up not being heard.
- Shyness “I just can’t get her to participate in any activities. She is too shy.”
- Factor X (charisma) “My boss has told me that I was overlooked for the promotion because my appraisal stated I don’t have enough ‘gravitas’.”
- Creativity “ I long to be creative but I don’t have any talent.”
- Languages “ I just can’t seem to hear the differences in the sounds.”
- Confidence “ I feel like I am rubbish at so many things.”
- Relationships “ I always end up making the same type of mistakes with people.”
- Sport “ I hate doing sport “ (Usually said by children who have had bad experiences due to lack of spatial awareness and co-ordination which is verified by their listening tests).
- Singing“He loves to sing but they have told him he can’t join the choir”
- Making friends “ He finds it difficult to join in with the other children.”
Do some of these sound familiar? Over the years I have heard these statements many times. These are some of the reasons why people decide to embark on Tomatis Listening Therapy, but a lot of the time it can be for a totally different reason; like wanting to learn a foreign language, but finding after the therapy is completed that their creativity has taken leaps and bounds forward; or wanting to improve their balance and co-ordination, but discovering that they can sing too. Many children deemed not to be sportive have gone from the back of the pack to the front, if not actually being the winners. In these cases, previously un-exhibited and un-thought-of skills and talents have emerged. This is the magic of Tomatis Listening Therapy, or is it when you know that the ear provides 80-90 percent of our cortical change to the brain, controls all our motor functions and allows us to use language and communicate at the highest level?
By opening, strengthening and fine tuning our aural perception we unleash everything we can be. It is like lifting the lid or opening up doors. I like to say that Tomatis can open the jammed doors of bigger developmental issues so a way can be made in. Just as with high levels of attainment, it can tweak and oil doors so they can be operated more smoothly and efficiently, increasing that high level to an even better one. To find a little bit extra often surprises people who believe they are already at their peak. This can provide the elusive edge where the difference between peers is measured in millimetres and hundreths of seconds.